Becoming a mother of two has been a dream come true. Having a boy and girl (and puppy son) is a joy and I feel extremely grateful. Being a working mother is important to me because it fulfills me as a person and I want my children to see their mama’s passion for work. The balance is tricky sometimes but it sure feels good at the end of the day when I see my babies happy and my work is complete! These are some of my thoughts on feeling at peace during these full days of the fourth trimester!
- Refer to your love token. I wear a circle charm talisman around my neck (and never take it off) that honors my husband and children. It features our names and birthstones and it’s a reminder of our precious family. Simply touching it on my neck and glimpsing it in the mirror makes me happy! Make your own by clicking/tapping the link below!
- Create a village around yourself and your children. The nurse who helped us after Asher’s birth came to stay with us again after Layla was born. She was absolutely wonderful with my three kiddos. Now that she’s left, I have a patient, attentive, kind “manny” who helps with Bear and Asher. Also, my parents aka “Meme” and “Grandpa/Baba” and my brother “Unca” Adam have helped with everything from babysitting my kids to cooking for us! Between my business, tending to my home, and juggling my babes’ needs, the days are packed! It is important to have people you trust to hang with and care for your children.
- Listen to your body. My diet is mostly gluten and dairy free. When I’m nursing, I also try stay away from spicy foods and cruciferous vegetables. At the same time, I want to enjoy this precious time. When I want nachos, I enjoy them! My cheese loving boy wants to feed me his shaved Parm? Yes yes yes! And in all honesty, my sweet tooth has been raging. I indulge it with mostly homemade treats so there are no preservatives and they are primarily gluten and dairy free. I’m already at my prebaby weight so I feel that listening to your body’s needs is the way to go!
- Move your bod! I believe in moderate exercise. I aim to walk or do a light jog for 20-30 minutes every morning. It wakes me up, activates my endorphins, and I feel refreshed! Bonus points if the exercise is outdoors, because I completely believe in the good vibes from trees, sunshine, and fresh air.
- Greens, greens, greens to start the day! Firstly, I am super hungry from breast feeding Layla so I don’t miss meals or snacks! Secondly, I believe the glowing hype when it comes to greens. I make a simple smoothie most mornings with tons of spinach, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries, cinnamon, and vegan protein powder. It feels smart fueling my morning with superstar, clean nutrients.
- Spread the love. There are studies that say hugging and holding hands are calming and literally zen out our bodies in a positive way. I believe our children benefit from this, too. I hold my kids’ hands, hug them, kiss them, rub their backs. I believe these actions are comforting, confidence building, and my job is to teach them the power of nurturing and love. Being close to them also makes me feel good! There’s nothing like Ash giving me, Layla, and Bear kisses on the cheek!
- Embrace these magical times. My kiddos and I have songs we sing, snacks we eat, and games we play. We have favorite local farms, parks, and restaurants. While work has to get done, I make sure we have lots of playtime together every day. The weeks go by very quickly and I want to savor all of this. We smile and laugh and it’s the greatest feeling. Love is everything!
Peace and love,